Cauliflower is versatile vegetable that is widely used in low carb cooking. Raw, roasted steamed or pureed have been the norm until some smart person “riced” it.
I am a big fan of cauliflower rice. As a rice substitute, cauliflower can be as simple or complicated as you desire. I often make a quick side dish of cauliflower rice, butter and seasoning, By the way, 1 bag of frozen cauliflower rice can be one serving, just sayin’ (smile)
Creative ways I use cauliflower and cauliflower rice are:
- Add to clear soup to add texture
- Add to blended soups to thicken
- Add to chili to add texture and fiber
- Add to your protein shake and blend (frozen is best)
- Add to tuna or egg salad for volume and crunch
- Puree and create a sauce by warming and adding a hard cheese like romano.
- Mix cauliflower rice with cheese and seasoning to make a fritter
Prior to store bought (fresh or frozen) cauliflower rice being available in a wide number of grocery stores, I used the cauliflower + water blender method shown in the video the fastest way to “rice” cauliflower. I have also used a box grater to rice by hand and I advise going somewhat slow to avoid having cauliflower pieces popping all over the place.
More ideas from Obtain and Maintain:
- Recipe: Basic Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Recipe: Spicy Avocado Cauliflower Rice
- Recipes Featuring Vegetables as Rice or Slaw
More than you may have wanted to know about cauliflower? Maybe (smile).
More to come…..