Returning to reciting my affirmations and whys over the last month has helped me realize the value in this practice. Admittedly, I had drifted away from the habit. Reading my affirmations and whys aloud to myself literally takes less than 60 seconds of the day. I like to wrap up morning journaling with reciting my affirmations and whys. I recently experienced specific occasions where I believe this practice has given me the awareness to make the better choice.
Journaling, affirmations, whys, goal setting, meditation – all of these behaviors require practice and making the decision to just do it. I recently heard a statement has that suck with me: When you make a decision to do something and then you do not follow through, you just have to decide to do it all over again. I find myself thinking about this statement on occasions when I do and when I do not follow through. When reflecting on what I write under Best Day, Like Best, or Next Time, I am reminded of where following through felt natural and did not feel like a decision. It is a good feeling to follow through on the promises that I make to myself. It is also good to be conscious of where I am not following through and see the challenge to keep my promises to myself as an opportunity rather than something negative.
Keep in mind, sometimes we do not know how ingrained a habit is until we break it. So true! The good news is that like a sculptor, we break away current patterns one chip at time. We carve out new pathways one inch at a time. It is pretty cool to be engaged in such a journey.
- I take ownership of my thoughts, my words and my actions
- My daily choices support building physical health, mental health and overall wellness
- Improving my physical and mental health are investments in myself
- I make healthy food choices to express love and respect for myself
- My self-talk is that of a friend; it is loving, supportive and accepting
- Movement and exercise are blessings
- I create thoughtful pauses in order to bring forth calmness and to remain less reactive
- I practice expressing gratitude daily, throughout my day
More to come…..